Tuesday | 05 March 2024 | 24 Shabaan 1445

Fatwa Answer

Question ID: 784 Category: Dealings and Transactions
Seeking Talaq/Divorce

Asalaamu alaykum

I am in need of urgent help ...
I am a revert sister from UK and currently living here. I married a brother from us a 3 months ago...

Since being married we have not got along very well and he doesn't provide for me or give me rights to time ect. We have not met yet so no intercourse ... this is due to issues with his passport and visa.

I have come to the decision I would like to divorce due to there being no way of us being able to be with each other and also I am a single parent and need financial help which he does not give me. I'm also finding it hard to safeguard myself from fitnah and in need of companionship

Is our nikah void after a certain time of no intercourse ? I have asked him for a divorce to which he has refused many times and I contacted shariah council in the UK but charge fees of 200 to apply and all together with a decision it would be possibly 500 pounds. I do not have this kind of money, is there anyway you can help me ?

Jazakallah khair.

الجواب وبالله التوفيق

There will be no effect on the Nikah, no matter how long the consummation does not take place unless the husband issues a divorce. We recommend that you contact the Shar‘ai counsel in your country in order to get a resolution for this issue.      

واللہ اعلم  بالصواب