Thursday | 18 April 2024 | 9 Shawaal 1445

Fatwa Answer

Question ID: 894 Category: Dealings and Transactions

I am forwarding this email that was sent to me from my husband. I wanted information on my rights and the rights of my children. Also what are the recommendations going forward.

I benefited from you, and you benefited from me. All things in this world have to end; it was not part of my plans to end our worldly relationship, however, due to many actions and words exchanged between us, (which I cannot list here due to its large numbers) I have decided to honorably and peacefully allow you to move on. I divorce you.

الجواب وبالله التوفيق

As per the situation described in your question, by stating “I divorce you”, one Talaq-e-Raj‘ai(i.e. revocable divorce) has taken effect. The period of ‘iddah for Talaq-e-Raj‘ai is equal to three menstrual cycles. If during this period the husband wants to reconcile it is permissible for him to do so. If the period of ‘iddah was completed without performing reconciliation, then a new Nikah will have to be performed in order to live together.

واللہ اعلم  بالصواب