Fatawa Answer

Question: Qasm-e-Eela

ID: 1451

Name: Marriage and Divorce



If a husband who resides with his wife abroad, due to some disagreement takes her back to the country of origin and leaves her with her parents, and states that you will now reside with your parents forever and I'll just keep on sending you living expenses, then with this intention and reasoning leaving one's wife in this manner will constitute qasm-e-eela? If it does then what does the Islamic Shari'ah says in this matter?



بسم اللہ الرحمن الرحیم

الجواب وباللہ التوفیق

Since the husband has not sworn to not have sexual intercourse with his wife for four months or more, "Eila'a"  will not happen. But it is not permissible for a husband to leave his wife in such a situation that neither he stays with her nor divorces her. Rather it is an abuse of her right and a disfavor towards her.

If the wife is to be kept in the marriage, she should be kept by honoring her rights as a wife.

But if it is difficult to live together in harmony, he should divorce her and free her from the bonds of Nikah.

In case the husband does not agree to divorce, then the wife should go to a darul-qadha and settle the issue by demanding Khula' or Faskhun-Nikah (annulment of the Nikah). 

الإیلاء : ہو الیمین علیٰ ترک وطء المنکوحۃ أربعۃ أشہر ، حتی لو عقد یمینہ علیٰ ترک وطء المنکوحۃ أقل من أربعۃ أشہر لا یکون الإیلاء ؛ بل یکون یمینًا ۔ ( الفتاویٰ التاتارخانیۃ / الفصل الخامس والعشرون ۵ ؍ ۱۸۴ رقم : ۷۶۱۲ زکریا )

وفي الشريعة عبارة عن اليمين على ترك الجماع بشرائط مخصوصة، نذكرها في مواضعها إن شاء الله تعالى بدائع الصنائع: ۳/۱۶۱)

فقط واللہ اعلم بالصواب

Answered On: Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 | N/A

Answered By: Mufti Mohammed Ataur Rahman Sajid

Checked By: Mufti Mohammed Navalur Rahman