Fatawa Answer

Question: Requesting divorce

ID: 1675

Name: Marriage and Divorce



I was told by one of my local Imams to contact this board with my request. He is familiar with my situation, but does not want to be involved. No local Imam can assist as they would get in trouble with the local government if they said I was divorced as the Government reserves that judgenment for themselves; which is VERY expensive.

I know I have to get divorced civilly as soon as I can afford it. But as I have been in school since September 2021, and not earning (supported by a halal loan from a friend, Alhamdualliah!!) it won't be till I've been working 6 monhts or more that I can even think about retaining a lawyer.  And I would simply like my Islamic rights as a believing woman so I can be free to remarry Islamically.

Asamualikum, and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Trudy "Amina" Francis

p.s. And yes, I have reported his 'change of address' to Immigration in 2021, and about 1 month ago his going to Egypt without me and my intent to divorce him as he made it clear he only married me for papers and place to live. No response from USCIS yet.


بسم اللہ الرحمن الرحیم

:الجواب وباللہ التوفیق

When the relationship between husband and wife becomes difficult and there is no way to live together, the husband should divorce his wife in a good way and let her leave with respect. If he does not want to divorce, then the wife should take “Khul’a”, that is, she should seek separation from her husband in exchange for the return of her dowry. If he accepts it, that is called “khul’a”. And this divorce will count as irrevocable divorce. If the husband does not accept the “Khul’a”, then the marriage can be annulled. In this regard, you should directly refer to the Sharia Board of America or other competent Islamic courthouse (Darul Qadha’a. God willing, they will guide you in this regard. 

عن ابن عباسؓ قال: جاء تت امرأۃ ثابت بن قیس بن شماس إلی النبي صلي اﷲ علیہ وسلم فقالت: یا رسول اﷲ! ما أنقم علی ثابت في دین ولا خلق إلا أنی أخاف الکفر، فقال رسول اﷲ صلی اﷲ علیہ وسلم: فتردین علیہ حدیقتہ فقالت: نعم فردت علیہ وأمرہ ففارقہا۔ (صحیح البخاري، کتاب الطلاق، باب الخلع،۵۰۷۶)

الخلع عقد یفتقر إلی الإیجاب والقبول یثبت الفرقۃ ویستحق علیہا العوض… وفي الہدایۃ: وإذا تشاق الزوجان وخافا أن لا یقیما حدود اﷲ تعالیٰ فلا بأس بأن تفتدي نفسہا منہ بمال یخلعہا بہ۔ وفي الزاد: وإذا فعل ذلک وقع بالخلع تطلیقۃ بائنۃ ولزمہا المال۔ (الفتاوی التارتاخانیۃ، کتاب الطلاق، ۵/۵)

فقط واللہ اعلم باالصواب

Answered On: Monday, Jul 17, 2023 | N/A

Answered By: Mufti Mohammed Ataur Rahman Sajid

Checked By: Mufti Mohammed Navalur Rahman