Assalam O'Alaikum Brother/Sister,
My name is Bader and I am a resident in Texas although I have lived 33 years in Chicago.
As a new entrepreneur I am about to launch a Islamic Products website and will start by selling 100% Cow and Goat leather from Pakistan. Is it possible to get a Halal Certification for my Islamic socks that has:
Please let me know if there is a possibility to get certified from your board and if yes what are the requirements.
I will be looking forward to your reply.
بسم اللہ الرحمٰن الرحیم
الجواب وباللہ التوفیق
There are two main issues regarding leather socks:
A. Purity of material and the product itself.
B. The correctness of wiping-over them, called “masah” in Arabic.
The jurists have laid down ten conditions for the legitimacy and correctness of wiping-over leather socks, called “khuffayn” in Arabic.
1. They must cover the entire foot including the ankles.
2. They are designed and made according to the structure of the foot and are attached to it.
3. They are strong enough to sustain a walk without shoes for one “farsakh” (three Shar’ei miles which is equivalent to 5 kilometers, 486 meters and 40 centimeters), without damage.
4. They can stand firm without binding or tying them to the feet.
5. Are thick and sealed enough to prevent water penetrating to the feet.
6. The socks should not have cracks which prohibit proper wipe-over “masah”.
7. Should be put on in the state of complete purity.
8. Their use is not allowed for “masah”when the purification was acquired through “tayammum".
9. The one performing “masah” over those socks should not be in the state of ritual impurity (junubi).
10. For a person with an amputated foot, the condition for him to perform “masah” over the socks, is that the upper part of his foot is intact to the extent of at least three small fingers of the hand.
(کتاب النوازل: ۳؍۱۳۲۔ ۱۳۱)
Regarding the crack or the size of tear, it should not be more than the size of three little toes which do not allow water to seep through. Also worth noting is the issue of air circulation and water penetration to the feet in the socks.
The certification for the permissibility and purity of leather socks can be issued, provided they comply with the conditions stipulated above. It would be worthwhile meeting in person with the Ulama of Sharia Board, in this regard.
وجوربیہ الثخینین بحیث یمشی فرسخاً ویثبت علی الساق بنفسہ ولایری ماتحتہ ولایشف․ (الدر المختار علی الشامی ص ۲۶۹ج۱)
وتجمع الخروق فی خف واحد لا فیہما۔
(درمختار بیروت ۱؍۴۰۰، زکریا ۱؍۴۶۰، المحیط البرہانی ۱؍۳۴۸)
فقط واللہ اعلم بالصواب